Thursday, November 8, 2012

I'm Sorry, What Now?

Alright, remember the last post I wrote? You know when I mentioned not being a fan of talking about my book because I'm afraid someone will steal my idea?

It happened.

Since my last post, an established YA author wrote, edited and published  MY BOOK *sobs uncontrollably*


Alright. I'm exaggerating. She totally didn't do all that over night. And she didn't actually steal my book, but well here....

I was over on my book blog, Me My Shelf and I, setting up some Waiting on Wednesday posts - you know looking for new books to feature for it, as you do. When I see this cover that's kinda cool and I click on it and start to read the synopsis...and well the next few moments of reading said synopsis went something like this...

Line One - Hmm okay this seems familiar
Line Two - Well, mine's a little different
Line Three - GET OUT OF MY HEAD WOMAN!
Line Four - I hate you and I'll never read any of your books ever again!
Line Five - *sitting under my desk with a bottle of vodka making this face:


Seriously...it's pratically the SAME book!

After a pep talk from author Catherine Ryan Hyde (Pay It Forward) I am reminded, again that no one idea is ever the same when written by 2 different people. And that there really is no unique ideas left under the sun.

And, okay so now I use this to get more creative and make it NOT like her's. Make it a challenge for myself, that's what a real writer would do after all. {logic hurts brain} Still no matter what, the basis will remain the same, and should this book get published I will just be compared to her. AND OKAY I suppose another good thing is that she's quite the great author so I guess there's nothing wrong with being compared to her book - even if she used some ancient witchcraft to crawl into my brain and steal my idea, probably a year before I even had it...tricky witchy woman!

It's just SO SO similar. The new house, the haunting, the dreamy blue eyes of the love interest, the MC in danger as she figures out who the killer might be.....*headdesk headdesk*

My GWPFL (Gay Writing Partner For Life) Charlie is reminding me that my book focuses more around dreams being my MC's trigger, so I have that going for me. And he's telling me I can drink, but I can't give up. Stupid logical writing partners....I mean...I LOVE YOUR FACE CHARLIE! *wink*

For those of you sitting here going. 'So what's the damn book already' - I will tell you, but I wasn't going to. And I swear, from the top of the hills I will scream it (if you carry me up there, I'm really lazy these days) I didn't steal HER idea! I've had this for ages and started it for NaNo...crap now I look like the thief....

Here' you go, from the fantastic mind of Kim Harrington (AND ME! *sobs*) is THE DEAD AND BURIED




A haunted house, a buried mystery, and a very angry ghost make this one unforgettable thriller.


Jade loves the house she's just moved into with her family. She doesn't even mind being the new girl at the high school: It's a fresh start, and there's that one guy with the dreamy blue eyes. . . . But then things begin happening. Strange, otherworldly things. Jade's little brother claims to see a glimmering girl in his room. Jade's jewelry gets moved around, as if by an invisible hand. Kids at school whisper behind her back like they know something she doesn't.



Soon, Jade must face an impossible fact: that her perfect house is haunted. Haunted by a ghost who's seeking not just vengeance, but the truth. The ghost of a girl who ruled Jade's school — until her untimely death last year. It's up to Jade to put the pieces together before her own life is at stake. As Jade investigates the mystery, she discovers that her new friends in town have more than a few deep, dark secrets. But is one of them a murderer?




Tonights NaNo writing face will look something like this:



- xoxo Amber
  • Stumble This
  • Fav This With Technorati
  • Add To Del.icio.us
  • Digg This
  • Add To Facebook
  • Add To Yahoo

2 comments:

Book Soulmates said...

You know I kind of love ya, right? I hate to laugh at your angst and pain over here but you crack me up!

As for Ms. Harrington, she's quite the crafty one! I don't think she's the only one out there though(<-- my excuse for why my brilliance is constantly being sucked out of my head and onto the blogs of others).

On a more serious note, don't you dare scrap your story. Change it up and make it different - make it YOURS! Now put on your big girl panties, chug that vodka and kick NaNo's arse ;)

Smooches!
♥Isalys / Book Soulmates

Me My Shelf And I said...

Isa, I love you. Like not a little, a whole freaking lot!

Post a Comment