Tuesday, November 6, 2012

NaNoWriMo Recap {DAYS 3 - 5}

So, keeping up with two blogs, writing 50K in a month, maintaining personal hygiene and caring for 2 kids and a husband and doing design work for a handful of fantastic authors isn't as easy as I thought it would be. 



So far no children have gone unfed, and I've managed at least one shower this month. I think. *sniffs self* Yes, at least one. 

And the book, well it's coming along. Currently I am sitting at 11,963 words, keeping me ahead of the game by a hair. I may have gotten slightly distracted the other day whilst trying to watch Buffy The Vampire Slayer and write at the same time. What?! I have never been distracted by anything on TV while writing before. First time for everything I suppose. 

I also took some of my writing time to go meet John Barrowman (Calling all Whovians... Captain Jack Harkness! Uh yes!) and his sister Carole E. Barrowman at Red Balloon Book Store on the 3rd. Check out that post HERE. Seriously when you see 8's face in some of these photos you will collapse out of cuteness. You've been warned.

Back to the book...many of my friends and family have asked me what my book is about. I have a short synopsis on my NaNoWriMo profile that's pretty much BS. I mean it does have something to do with the book, but it's not 100% accurate. There's a reason for that. I am terrified to talk about my book. 

It has nothing to not wanting anyone to know I'm writing one. Although the "You're writing young adult fiction, is there Vampires in it?" questions and looks are getting a little old. Okay, really, really terribly old. I'm terrified to talk about it because I don't want anyone to steal my idea.

I know, I know...CAN IT! No one is going to take it, and even if they did they would never be able to write the EXACT same book as me. Annnnnnd If they did write the exact same book, then I have dated drafts on my computer...I got it. I do. I understand. I have had, at minimum, 4 author friends tell me this on repeated occasions and at various volume levels. Sometimes with colorful words thrown in to change things up now and again. 

So,in order to help myself get over...well, myself here's a snarky Cliff Notes version of what the book is about:

Girl moves to mid-west with mother after tragic death of father. Girl has some Post Traumatic Stress because of death of said father. Girl starts having strange dreams that feel remarkably real after she moves. Girl chalks this up to 1) death of father, and 2) living in new town away from all her friends. Dreams eventually start to become very dark, and terrifying ending in the brutal murder of the Girl in the dreams. Events in and around her at school and in town lead Girl to make the connection that the dreams she is having are in fact not about her, but that she is reliving the last days of a young woman who went missing in small mid-west town last year. Girl is suddenly coming to terms with the fact she is being contacted by a dead girl who is rather annoyed she was kidnapped, killed and dumped somewhere and wants her body found stat. Appearances by :love-interest" and "popular annoying cheerleader type" also in the book, for good measure...it is YA after all. 


Okay. So. I think I need to post this NOW before I change my mind and not tell you about it...*flails!*




xoxo - Amber







  • Stumble This
  • Fav This With Technorati
  • Add To Del.icio.us
  • Digg This
  • Add To Facebook
  • Add To Yahoo

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE this premise! Keep up the great work :) So far my counts just under 15k, but I can feel real life starting to creep up on me....

Kristilyn (Reading In Winter) said...

You're doing awesome! It's definitely hard to balance ALL THE THINGS this month, but I'm sure it can be done ... right?!?

I've been emailing myself my work every few days. And every day I think I don't want to write until I actually GET writing and then I have fun. My reading is really sliding this month though ... by the time I flip open a book to read, my eyes get sleepy.

Anyway, keep going!!

Me My Shelf And I said...

OMG Reading....yea right...I don't think I will do any of that this month...though I know I really should...there's just no time!

Post a Comment